Calculation of Rates

Method Used to Value Land

All land within the council area, except for land specifically exempt (eg crown land and council occupied land), is rateable. Wakefield Regional Council has decided to continue to use capital value as the basis for valuing land within the council area. The Council considers that this method of valuing provides the fairest method of distributing the rate burden across all ratepayers.

The Council has adopted the valuations made by the SA Valuer-General as provided to the Council on 1 July 2017.

Differential General Rates and Fixed Charge

In order to deliver services, the Local Government Act 1999 provides for a Council to raise revenue by applying rates. This year, Council has developed its Budget based on an average rate increase of 5.5% across the Council area. Copies of the 2017/18 Annual Business Plan and 2017/18 Budget are available under "Council Documents".

Wakefield Regional Council has adopted differential rating and a fixed charge. The differential general rates are based on the following land use categories:

Residential - 0.3497 cents in the dollar
Commmercial - 0.5782 cents in the dollar
Industrial - 0.5659 cents in the dollar
Primary Production - 0.3198 cents in the dollar
Vacant Land – 1.0018 cents in the dollar
Other - 0.3583 cents in the dollar.

A Council may impose a fixed charge on every property in its area, provided that it has not imposed a minimum rate. Where two or more adjoining properties have the same owner and the same occupier, or where there is a single farm enterprise comprising more than one property, only one fixed charge is payable by the ratepayer.

The Council has imposed a fixed charge on rateable properties of $320.00.

Want to know what you get for your rates?

There are a series of 'Fact Sheets' available about council rates from the Local Government Association. Visit

Single Farm Enterprise  

  • Are you a farmer?
  • Do you have two or more pieces of rateable land?
  • Are these pieces of land all used as farm land / primary production?
  • And are these pieces of land owned or occupied by the same person/s?
  • Have you subdivided, purchased or sold land this financial year?

If you answered “YES” to the above questions – you may be eligible to apply to have your farm classified as a “Single Farm Enterprise”. This means that your single farm enterprise would only attract the one fixed charge against all of your land.

If a single farm enterprise application has previously been approved and no changes as listed above have been made throughout this financial year, a new application is not necessary.

Applications will need to be received by the end of April (unless stated otherwise) prior to the following financial year to be considered for inclusion in the following financial year.  The single farm enterprise provision only applies after an application has been made to Council and granted.

If you believe you are eligible for the single farm enterprise or have any queries, please contact Ros Jarvis, Rates Officer at the Council office.  Application forms are available from the Council's website under Council Documents, or can be requested by phoning the Council office.

What’s the difference between Single Farm Enterprise and Adjoining Property?

Adjoining Properties – Section 152 (2) (c) of the Local Government Act 1999

An adjoining property, also referred to as “contiguous land” occurs when two properties share a common boundary for example;  abuts on the other land at any point; or is separated from the other land only by a road, street, lane, footway, court, alley, railway or thoroughfare; or a watercourse or channel; a reserve or other similar open space.  The parcels must also be owned by the same owner/s and occupied by the same occupier/s whereby two or more rate notices are issued to a ratepayer. 

By law, Council may only charge one fixed charge providing the above criteria is met.  This is reflected on your rates account Eg.  This year’s fixed charge is $320 therefore your account should show $160.00 on each assessment.  However this is not applicable to shops, units or rental properties as generally the occupier is different to the owner of the land.

It is Council’s responsibility to identify each adjoining assessment to ensure only ONE fixed charge is equally applied over both accounts however if you think we may not have your assessments correctly recorded, please contact the Rates Officer to have it reviewed.

Single Farm Enterprise - Section 152 (2) (d) of the Local Government Act 1999

Single Farm Enterprises (SFE) are also a way of reducing the amount of fixed charges a farmer may have to pay.  A SFE does not have to be adjoining or held in the same names, but it has to be demonstrated the blocks are farmed as one enterprise.  In short, all individuals listed on the application must be consistent for each and every assessment and if for example a house is occupied by someone not listed on the enterprise, then that assessment will not be eligible.

It is the land owners responsibility to inform Council of any changes to the SFE eg. house or land is later leased/rented or occupied by another party not forming part of the existing enterprise and there is no longer eligible to receive the rating benefit of a SFE.

Decrease font size Reset font size Increase font size
PO Box 167 | Scotland Place
Balaklava SA 5461